- Companion Grade 4-7 Teacher Guides
With the publication of the NumberSense Companion Workbooks and Teacher Guides, we complete the mathematics curriculum coverage for Grades 4 to 7. It is our hope that the NumberSense Companion Workbooks will provide children with the same challenges and enjoyment that they get from the NumberSense Workbooks, helping them to experience mathematics as a meaningful, sense-making, problem-solving activity.
Area and Volume Activities
Measuring is the process of comparing the size (muchness) of some property of an object or event:
- Either relative to the same property of another object or event;
- Or to some standard unit of measure.
Measurements that can be determined include (among many others):
- Length (mm, cm, m, km, inches, feet, yards and miles);
- Area (cm², m², acres, hectares);
- Mass (kg, pounds, tonnes);
- Volume (m³; litres; kilolitres, ounces, quarts and gallons );
- Temperature (degrees Celcius and degrees Fahrenheit);
- Speed (m/s, km/h, miles/hour); and
- Time (seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years etc.) …
What we often take for granted is the existence of the standard units for each of these measurements (listed above).
What is important is that children develop the insight that measuring:
- Is about comparing and quantifying; and
- Involves units/measurements that allow us to quantify and compare in convenient and reliable ways.
The challenge in teaching is to create an environment in which children experience the evolution of measuring in an informal manner so that they can understand units as arbitrary but convenient.
MathsSense: The MathsSense Mathematics Programme is a digital mathematics programme for Grades 8-12 (currently under development). Here we share with you a few video tutorials that form part of the materials.
GeoGebra: GeoGebra is mathematics software that brings together geometry, algebra, spreadsheets, graphing, statistics and calculus in one easy-to-use package.